'Shine or Go Crazy' - Character Teaser

Gallery

August 25, 2008

My name is Im Juhwan.



Written by: Yoon Huiseong (윤희성 nine@10asia.co.kr)

Photos: Lee Jinhyeok (이진혁 eleven@10asia.co.kr)

Editor: Jang Gyeongjin (장경진 three@10asia.co.kr)
2009.08.25
Translated by: atel @ soompi

My name is Im Juhwan. 

Born May 18, 1982. In my late 20’s, not too far from enlisting.

Ever since I was little, my parents were the type to let me be free in what I did rather than constantly monitoring me. As long as I took responsibility for my actions, they did not mind if I came home late a night. So, starting when I was in elementary school, I took on part-time jobs such as distributing fliers and collecting videotapes. When I was in high school, they even asked me if I wanted to live on my own. But they didn’t ask that to my younger sister.

Once when I had my photograph taken together with my father for a men’s magazine, the staff said that my father looked like Jeremy Irons. When we returned home that day, he seriously said, “Should dad make his debut?” Appearance and personality-wise, I take a lot after my father.

I learned to smoke last year when I was filming A Frozen Flower (쌍화점). Director Yuha gathered the junior guards and said, “Girls at first like the bright and cute characters, but the final deciding vote goes to the cold guy in pain whom she wants to somehow protect. It’s not the angel, but the devil you need to be closer with. Mark these words deep within your hearts.” He provided various experiences to us. From that point on, I started to smoke. I don’t feel the bad effects of it yet. 

Actor Shin Dongwook was my classmate in theater during high school. He was a really passionate guy. He’s the kind of guy who would personally get permission from the Ministry of Defense to buy a general’s outfit.

I do have a little bit of experience as a magazine model when I was in high school. My friend in theater class and I took pictures of ourselves using a timer with a camera, and then we sent the pictures in. My friend did not make it, but I did. It allowed me to earn some spending money, fortunately.

I officially started working as a model after completing my first year in college. As I was entering “The Men” Agency, the CEO at the time saw me and asked me to work with them right away. The very next day I did a photo shoot with Kang Dongwon-hyung*.

At that time, there weren’t any female employees at the agency. Even the puppy there was male. Only the cat was female. (Laughs) When dining out, it’d be just a bunch of guys getting together to drink. On the days off, we’d get together to exercise. While each person had his own unique look, the thing we had in common was that we liked to wear skinny jeans. Out of all of us, Kang Dongwon-hyung was definitely the leader of the skinny jeans. 

I learned many things when I was filming A Millionaire’s First Love (백만장자의 첫사랑). I came to the set even on the days I didn’t have to film because I wanted to know what made Hyunbin, who is the same age as me, be the lead. At first, Director Kim Taegyun told me to leave. Later, he allowed me to sit beside him and would teach me about lighting and directing while we watched the monitor.

I think that the basis for acting is life experiences. So there were times when I had a complex about having grown up without major difficulties like a flower sheltered within a greenhouse. My face doesn’t even have a scar from a fight. That’s why I try to learn from other people’s works. There were times when I’ve watched 8, 10 films in a day.

Before filming MBC’s Tamra, The Island (탐나는 도다), movies I watched as reference include, Crimson TideRed OctoberA Few Good Men, and along with others about the law and the military. That’s because Park Gyu speaks in a dry yet matter-of-fact way. 

Seowu and Hwang Chanbin act with a real instinctive sense. Seowu naturally has this great energy. Since she gives great ad-libs, the director is always on the watch for her in case she looses it once she is out of the scene. Having lived abroad, Chanbin has an open mind and so can create a big response even with a little bit of emotion. Because I get motivated by my fellow co-actors, there are many times when I’ve generated reactions that I was not anticipating.

Even Ggeutbun’s Juri has great energy. Since she usually appears in scenes that are not connected together, she always does something extra. For example, if Ggeutbun comes sniffing around, my own facial expression and lines naturally come out in response to her.

In the 4th episode, the scene in which I had a spat with the Head Diver [played by Kim Migyeong] incorporated many parts that were not part of the script. Since we have a good rapport, should we ad-lib lines, we know how to respond to it in turn. Now, even when seonsaengnim** [Kim Migyeong] gets near me, without my knowing I get startled. Basically, if you were to ask me to talk about one particular fun episode, I wouldn’t be able to recall one since the entire filming process itself has been fun.

I manage my own earnings. As a result, I don’t carelessly spend a lot. After filming A Frozen Flower, I ended up not buying new clothes. These days my biggest expenditures are going to hofs*** and chicken. I never use credit cards because it feels as if I’m borrowing money. I don’t hesitate to ‘deal only in cash.’

Recently, I was riding the bus, when a group of male high school students recognized me. Even though they were minors, they told me that they had enjoyed watching A Frozen Flower. After greeting me, they asked, “Is it alright for you to travel like this? You’re a celebrity.” I am a celebrity and actor only when I stand in front of the camera. When I return home, I am still a son and a citizen. I am really an ordinary person in everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment