'Shine or Go Crazy' - Character Teaser

Gallery

December 21, 2010

Welcome to the Island


By Doozy
When Tamra the Island aired in 2009, I had no interest in watching it primarily because there wasn’t anyone in its cast that really drew my attention. Seo Woo was a relatively newbie then. Im Joo Hwan was known to me as the dude who was Hyun Bin’s ineffective romantic rival in The Snow Queen; oh yeah, and also Kim Bum’s bro in a blink-and-you’d-miss-him scene in Boys Over Flower. And there was Hwang Chan Bin (Pierre Deporte), the blond albino boy whom I knew nothing about. Even after reading the many critical praises that Tamra gained, I still had no plans to check it out. Especially after being introduced to Seo Woo through the hot mess that was Cinderella’s Sister and leaving with feelings of indifferent and mild annoyance of the actress. So why am I marathoning it now?
In addition to a good script and solid performances by the drama’s cast, its OST is another aspect that can either enhance or diminish my enjoyment and emotional connection with that drama. For me, the pattern usually goes as such: 1) watch drama, 2) ooh, what lovely music you have there, 3) download OST, and 4) listen to it repeatedly. Tamra, however, has the distinction of turning this pattern upside-down because I fell in love with its instrumental theme before watching even a minute of the show.

How did Tamra and I find each other?
A few months ago, I became obsessed with SKKS, which led me to Miss Tofu’s Scandalous blog, which eventually got me into reading fanfics, which was when I stumbled across “Your Tears”, the main theme from Tamra’s OST. And here I am.
I saw episode 1 yesterday and was thisclose to quitting the show because of its overuse of toilet humor, something I’m not a fan of. I pulled through the episode by constantly reminding myself that a drama with such a lovely score can’t be that bad, plot and acting-wise. So onward to episode 2, I went. I finished episode 2 today and enjoyed it much more than the pilot because there were moments that made me laugh instead of grossing me out and some very adorable interactions. Seo Woo’s voice still grates on my nerves, although to a lesser degree. Must be because her character is growing on me and I actually find Beo Jin endearing. Additionally, the plot now gets going with an element of mystery thrown in, which I like. The music is still awesome. And oh my… Tamra is so pretty to look at, totally drool-worthy. Members of Team Park Kyu can drool over Im Joo Hwan all they want while my eyes will feast on the gorgeous cinematography.
Observe:
Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

Here’s hoping that Tamra keeps getting better and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment