'Shine or Go Crazy' - Character Teaser

Gallery

January 20, 2012

Im Joo Hwan, my favorite actor

By Lyn

Despite being a SuJu fan, and a Kpop fan in general, I’ve never been a K-drama addict. So far, there have been only two actors that really impress me. One is Ryeowook, with his fantastic performance in Attack on the pin-up boys; and the other is model-turned-into-actor Im Joohwan (also known as Lim Juhwan) Surprisingly, both of them were not trained to be actors in the first place.
Let me not talk about my ultimate bias Mr Kim today, as I plan to have another post for him, and focus on the less known Im Joohwan. He started his career as a model, which was understandable considering that face and that height of his. I don’t know much about this period because frankly, I could care less about models. I first learned about him in 2008 through the drama “Snow Queen”, with Hyunbin and Sung Yuri as the protagonists. Although these two were more famous and they did a good job, it was Im Joohwan that caught my attention. His character was decent, the oh-so-kind guy who was willing to sacrifice for his beloved, though his love was unrequited; the type that usually bores me to death after one or two episodes. But there was something appealing about this actor. Not really the look (he was as thin as a stick back then, not breathtaking handsome either; although I gotta admit his smile shone XD) but the aura he had. His body language was a bit awkward, but the facial expression and everything else was natural. I felt for his character, and in the end I fell for him.
He was, of course, unpopular back then (and until now it seems that SK has yet to give him enough credit either), just like Ryeowook. My biases are never those who are in the mainstream, but those whose talents and will power I admire, whose potentials I see and anticipate. It’s inspiring to watch them grow up from caterpillars to beautiful butterflies. Ryeowook has spread his wings, though he still have lots to show us; and Joohwan has taken the first few steps on the stairs to fame as well. I have yet to watch Tamra the island (planning to catch up asap) but I heard he was fabulous in it, and gained a lot of fans. The project that puts me on a Joohwan high is his latest drama Whats up, in which there is also Big Bang’s Daesung.I absolutely love the character Jang Jaehun; and gosh, I am stunned by Im Joohwan’s performance!!! He makes me feel for the Jaehun who loves his mother so much but can never show his feelings properly; Jaehun who appears tough on the outside but somewhat insecure inside; Jaehun who genuinely cares for his friends and does his best to protect them; Jaehun who loves sincerely but has to suffer from that love. When he acts funny I laugh, when he smiles I smile; and when tears fall from his eyes, I cried with him too. All in all, the drama is wonderful (I may or may not post about it later LOL haven’t been so interested in something for quite some time); but Joohwan’s acting impresses me the most. I knew he was potential, but this is way better than I ever expected. He was smart to choose roles which fit him well and allow him to chow off his ability. His skill may not be the best, but he’s a natural actor, whom I prefer to a skilled one any day. I have just finished Episode 10 of Auction House with him in it, and man, the guy’s got some serious talent!!! It is a must watch for anyone who wanna know more about him but don’t know where to start, or don’t have time to watch series like Tamra or What’s up rightaway.


I was originally attracted by his acting; but when I know more about him, he gains my respects as an admirable individual and not just an idol. In the videos they shot during his stay in Japan for ELLE KOREA photoshoot (2009), he showed a surprisingly good manner. He didn’t talk much, but wasn’t at all distant or arrogant; showing both professionalism and friendliness (you don’t see that in models every day kkk) When I read this article, once again I am amazed. He sounds sincerely modest and hardworking; and shows a really good attitude towards acting. He wants to be a real actor and not a pretty boy playing decent characters in decent products: “Also, rather than doing a lot of films, I’d like to do projects where I can act well, even if it’s just one a year. “. Look at his description of the villain he wants to portray: “I want to try a character that makes you feel annoyed just by looking at me.”, it shows how thoughtful and serious he is about it. He’s clear about what he aims at, and I believe he will achieve it, sooner or later.


However, we’ll have to wait for yet another year before we see something new from him; as he’s currently doing his military service. I really wish he can get rid of is jinx next time he makes a comeback. His projects, excellent as they are (Tamra and What’s up are both different from the usual Kdramas, both have good storyline as well as good characterization); are not commercially successful. Tamra’s rating was so bad that it was cut from 21 episodes to 16; and as far as I’m concerned What’s up is not doing very well either, despite having Daesung (or it it due to having Daesung now?) He has a good taste, without a doubt, but it seems SK does not have the same taste, unfortunately. Pioneers are not always successful anyway, I hope he keeps up his attitude and doesn’t give in to please the majority 
The best of luck for you, Im Joohwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment