'Shine or Go Crazy' - Character Teaser

Gallery

October 7, 2012

Suspicious Customers Review

By Orion
Suicide Forecast Poster



What I liked:

This is actually one of my favorite movies of 2011, mainly because it surprised me by being more than what I expected. I thought it would be a comedy with some simple drama thrown in and I got a very human drama, a smart one and definitely not one which should be named a comedy. This is a heavy movie. Don't be fooled by the poster and trailers. Korea has yet to master promotion of their movies and they often promote a work as an entirely different genre than what it really is and in a whole different mood. They promote this as comedy, which is crazy, because it's not one.

I will make a bigger review on this at some point, because it really represents what I find a meaningful movie. No symbolism, no shoving "See! This is meaningful!" in your face like many works try too hard to do in order to convince you they do have something to say, no such insecure and cheap tricks.

The story works well, the movie has something decent to say about how we face life and change it, it's well filmed and easy to follow, the acting is very good and what a cast indeed. Also, it's sad to see Im Joo Hwan is not receiving more attention, because he is quite an interesting actor and a good one.


Im Joo Hwan
He hit the fine balance between awkward and endearing, for this character

What I didn't like:

See, if I am struggling to find something here, I know I'm thinking about a movie I really like and find good. I really can't find any major problems with it. One thing which could be negative for some, is the fact that some happenings are a bit too "convenient".

Event and action-wise, there are some deus ex machina moments, but they don't feel offending because the movie is about how people change through these situations. Also, even if it feels like there are way too many coincidences at the same time, they are the kind that could happen in real life. They do catch one's attention because this is a movie and the fact that they all happen in such a small "movie timeframe" can be off putting. Personally, I did not mind them by the end of the movie, because it was the journey they put characters through emotionally that mattered to me.

Movies have to do certain things in more dramatic ways. That includes happenings as well. Real life would be boring as a movie or a series and it's not what people want. They want heightened versions of it. Making such versions, but still keeping them meaningful and faithful and descriptive of real life, that's the trick and what is appreciated. And this movie does that.

However, if you're not willing to overlook those plot elements and enjoy what this film is about, you'll have a problem. If you are one of those "that is SO contrived" viewers who can't just see the meaning in a movie, let it pull them in and only watches to spot errors and inadequacies, this is not for you. Frankly, no movie would be.


Suicide Forecast screen
It also has all kinds of people and not just pretty idols. A minus, for some.

The Verdict:

Good human drama, about a very dire problem in South Korea; that of extremely high suicide rates. It takes a look at it on a human, individual level and it does so through a main character who acts as a catalyst and observer of these situations.

Nice acting, very good cast, nicely done. I'd recommend it to anyone, but I am aware that a lot of people appreciate their meaning a bit more intensely displayed and stated so I cannot guarantee you'll find this as good as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment