'Shine or Go Crazy' - Character Teaser

Gallery

December 12, 2013

Interview (Newsen) - Im Joo Hwan “After Getting Discharged From the Military, Everyone Except the PD (director) Was Against My Casting For ‘Ugly Alert’ (PART 1)

Source: Newsen
Translated by: Cookingdramas
Note: (*) means I’m unsure of translation
Acting as nice guy ‘Gong Joon Soo’ transformed Im Joo Hwan.
Two months after Im Joo Hwan got discharged from the army in February, he made a comeback with SBS’s drama ‘Ugly Alert’. Living as ‘Gong Joon Soo’ for 7-8 months, Im Joo Hwan shared his thoughts on ending the drama. “ (I feel) refreshing, relaxed and bittersweet. To the character Gong Joon Soo, there are regrets that I couldn’t give him more love.  (*) It feels as if I have not finished what I had to say, I could’ve did more.”
image
After returning back to becoming a ‘normal civilian’, the reason why he came back shortly with the chance to star in ‘Ugly Alert’ was all thanks to Shin Yoon Sub PD. From the beginning, Shin Yoon Sub PD set Im Joo Hwan to be the main lead for this drama. Without discussing anything in particular with Im Joo Hwan,  he was certain that he had to do this drama.
Im Joo Hwan disclosed the back-story to his casting. “I was told to come to SBS to see the director. He didn’t have any other meetings with other actors. When I heard that, I had the reaction of ‘why me?’  This was the first time a director had (personally) asked for me.”
image
“I heard that if it wasn’t me, no one else would do. There was no other typical casting (process) to determine the main lead. I was the first and ‘last’ to be casted.(*) I was also the last to be notified personally by the director that I was their first choice. There was nothing like some kind of script reading. The director told me I had to take part in this.”
(there was script reading of course for the drama, but he probably means script reading for auditioning or something)
image
“Besides the director, everyone else was against me (taking on the role). The director pushed for me to do it and convinced me that I was the right person to act ‘Gong Joon Soo’. Because of that, I was quite encouraged.”
After Gong Joon Soo’s parents remarried, he took the blame for his younger brother’s murder and spent 10 years in jail. After getting released from prison, Gong Joon Soo continued unconditionally devoting himself to his family. Because of his love towards his siblings, his family accepted him again. Only until the latter half of the drama, his siblings find out the truth behind the murder case. Gong Joon Soo is truly a one of a kind ‘nice guy’.
“In the drama, because of me all the characters had a hard time,” he laughs."In the beginning, it was impossible to understand Gong Joon Soo. Perhaps the viewers as well couldn’t believe there would be someone like Gong Joon Soo. I as well, couldn’t understand him at first. (*) It wasn’t the accident that created the incident. It was only until that ‘simple’ accident was made into a murder, that prompted (Gong Joon Soo) to sacrifice himself to protect his brother.”
"There truly is that kind of person that exists now. However, we forget that we know of it in a different sense. It is basic for you to give up for your family. If we don’t see it in the perspective of Gong Joon Soo being a brother, we can see it in terms of being a parent. In order to protect your own children, you will do anything for them. In Joon Soo’s view, because his parents passed away, he had to protect his siblings. In order to not allow his siblings to get hurt, he chose to take the blame for the murder.”
image
When asked how similar he is compared to the ‘unrealistic Gong Joon Soo’, he replied with “about 30%?” He answered, “ It’s quick to find the differences. Firstly, I absolutely don’t have ‘women phobia’. The similarities are that I am directly engaged in what I’m doing. For me as well, when the acting requires me to be overly excited, then I will really be overly excited. In the scenes where I have to run, I will really be into it.  It’s a type of ‘ignorant acting’ style (when he means ignorant (무식), I think he means in a ‘pure’, ‘immersed’ kind of way)(*)Also, when I think of what work I have to do, I am similar in that I will think of how I can finish it.
Through acting Gong Joon Soo and seeing how he was extremely fond of his family,  has also changed Im Joo Hwan’s attitude towards his own family. “In the past if a drama ended I would go on vacation or go out to have a drink. Last week I went to my parent’s house just as how a normal son would have. I also had a meal with my sibling.”
“Because of Gong Joon Soo I realized I had missed many of the basic things (in life). I have a sister that is one year apart from me. Before, I didn’t act like a brother should have. For over 30 years, I have never given a birthday present to her once, (but) this year for her birthday I gave her a pair of boots. She was also taken back. For myself I had a thought that in our daily lives our families can become tired and weary and we neglect to cherish them, but through ‘Ugly Alert’ I have realized that it shouldn’t be like that.”
———-
Wow, that was a long interview ^^! First of all, I was surprised to hear people were AGAINST him for taking on this role! He never divulged ‘who’ it was (of course) he just said ‘others’ but wow…how could you guys…. xD 
Also, after reading this interview, I’m truly grateful to Shin PD because it seems like he supported Im Joo Hwan all the way! *TT_TT* PD NIM!!!!! THANK YOU!!!
Again, Im Joo Hwan mentions his ‘ignorant’ style of acting and I’m getting the feeling that he means he is the type to be fully immersed in whatever he does. AH, just makes me admire him even more ♥ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment