'Shine or Go Crazy' - Character Teaser

Gallery

December 3, 2013

Interview - Ugly Alert's Im Joo Hwan, "Ignorant style" - When your body is tired, a "happiness" emerges

Interview source: Tvreport.co.kr
Translated by Cookingdramas


Actor Im Joo Hwan talks about his own physical strength/health.
On the morning of December 2nd, Im Joo Hwan received an interview by TV Report and when asked the question “how did you take care of your body?”, he answered with “I consumed a variety of juices.”
On the 29th, SBS daily drama “Ugly Alert” ended on the 133rd episode in which Im Joo Hwan who acted as “Gong Joon Soo” gave an enthusiastic performance.
Regarding this, Im Joo Hwan stated, “ Since April, filming for ‘Ugly Alert’ officially began. From the moment I opened my eyes until I shut them, I saw the same people (around me). In the 7 months, 24 hours rather felt like a week to 10 days” (IOW: one day felt like around a week-10 days~basically NO REST!)
Following, he added “(For the sake of maintaining my strength) I drank a wide variety of juices. From onion juice, to red ginseng that fans sent me, I drank many (types).”
Especially, Im Joo Hwan says he feels there is no limit to physical strength. “Actually, in the beginning of the drama there were a lot of running and laborious scenes, but I didn’t feel it was tiring at all. The scene where I was running along side Do Hee’s (Kang Sora) car in a suit, took around 7-8 hours to film. In reality, when it aired, it was probably around 10s. Although in comparison the time was short, I personally think it was worth investing (that amount of time) for the sake of getting the best shot.
“The more running, the more good scenes that will come out, isn’t that right?” he said with a smile.
To add, Im Joo Hwan defined the term ‘Ignorant Style’ in his own view. “Overworking your body slightly is a good thing.  When your body is tired, it seems like a sort of ‘happiness’ emerges. Following, he reveals “ *I heard from the other actors (telling me) “why can’t you think of it in a more ‘clever’ way?”
(I kind of semi-directly translated this, but it still sounds weird. The main point  the other actors were telling him was that his thinking was weird! Haha. It’s true though…because most people would not think that being ‘tired’ is a good thing…hence the title ‘ignorant style’ (direct translation) or rather ‘ignorant thinking’ [in a good way, of course] )

(*) Note: I may not be right about these translations

It is true that ‘Joon Soo’ had A LOT of scenes that required copious amounts of physical strength (just think about all those ‘running’ scenes he had to do!) I’m happy that he did not think of this as a ‘bad’ thing, but rather thought of it more positively as gaining a sort of ‘happiness’ from a tiring workout.
About how he said that only 10 seconds of the running scene along side the car came out, I actually went back to see how long they were. He was kinda off, hehe, but it was still cut short by a lot. In total, the scene was around 30 seconds in the end of episode 12 and then around 30 seconds in the beginning of episode 13. So, it averages out to be about one minute. But still, they spent 7-8 HOURS (!!!) on that scene!!! I know it happens a lot in dramas and it seems unfair, but as Joo Hwan said, it is worth ‘investing’ in that amount of time to know you’re doing it all to get the ‘best shot’ :)
Now that the drama is over, he can finally have a good rest!!!

(notice how he is still wearing “Joon Soo’s” clothing, hahahaha)

No comments:

Post a Comment