'Shine or Go Crazy' - Character Teaser

Gallery

December 29, 2012

What's up - I declare I love this show.


From: Maymaywatch


I declare I love this show. Truth is I never completed any other musical drama so I can’t really compare, but if they are anything as good, I’m game for more. I think I loved everything about What’s Up – I’m invested in all the characters. Hell I cried for half of them in the past 20 episodes. I know some complained about the jarring and fickle moods but I actually loved it. It prevented the drama from being draggy because it’s an emotional rollercoaster. One moment I’m crying, the next I’m laughing…sometimes both simultaneously. That’s how crazy it is for me.

The set-up isn’t anything novel, but I think it’s done just right. I know the drama’s been edited for a 45 minute broadcast, but really I didn’t feel it. I love how all the characters have grown for the better, and realistically. Jae-hun never lost his cockiness, Do-sung is as timid as ever, Byung-gun with his overflowing confidence, Chae-young’s bitchiness….you geddit. Their circumstances might have changed but they are in essence still very much the same person as they were in the earlier episodes.

For example, Chae-young finally stops envying others and works with what she’s best at. The entertainment circle is so shark-infested that Do-sung wouldn’t last a minute in there without someone like Chae-young to shield him from the predators. And I think it’s amazing that the writer manages to solve Do-sung’s dilemma with Chae-young. Just brilliant. Two birds with one stone. We all knew she sorta produced the first musical….so it’s kinda fitting that she ends up as one. That’s some tight writing.

Doo-ri is heart-breaking to watch. Whether or not we approve of her teacher-crush is secondary because in the end what matters is, she loved and respected Sun so much that his death hits her the hardest. And really this show proves that sometimes less is more. I like how some of the emotions are conveyed without words but packs just as strong an emotional punch.

Maybe some will be disappointed we don’t get to see the full musical, but I actually find that okay. Because we’ve caught glimpses of it throughout and since the musical is more or less based on the first years, we couldn’t have missed much because we’ve been with them for 20 episodes now haven’t we?

I do have a question though…what happened to the ahjussi guard…he went missing somewhere in between with no explanation…was it a result of the editing?

P/S: Imo they should totally do a What’s Up Vol.2! I’d totally watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment