'Shine or Go Crazy' - Character Teaser

Gallery

January 2, 2014

Interview (K-fan★me) - Im Joo Hwan, first fan meeting since getting discharged from the army, but before that, it's time for a long interview!

Orginal source: k-fan.me
Translated into Eng by: Cookingdramas

“ I am the friendly oppa from next door!”
Cookingdramas: [note: skipped the intro , but it just said that he was having an fan meeting in Japan on Jan.25th and everyone is excited] 
★thanks to IJH baidu bar @青荷(trans) @地瓜 (trans) @liveor (edit)★
image
Im Joo Hwan is back!
KNTV9 officially started airing Im Joo Hwan’s comeback project “Ugly Alert “ in September. In Korean viewer’s eyes, there is no need to explain much about Joon Soo who gives up everything for his family. The Japanese viewers also have been deeply moved by his acting. With these acting skills and appearance Im Joo Hwan is acknowledged by all to be an outstanding and popular actor.
R: What are your thoughts on the soon approaching fan-meeting being held for you since getting discharged from the army?
★IJH: I’m a bit worried! My heart’s beating fast right now, but at least I’m not overly worried. I think there are a lot of ways to meet up with everyone but to me, a fan-meeting is where everyone is close together and this is the most simple and direct form of interaction.
R: In your previous fan-meetings you sang, had Q&A’s and other interactive activities. Will it be the same this time?
★IJH: There will be! In fact, this time will be better than previous times. Everyone can ask me personal questions. I hope my fan-meeting can be where I can ‘show’ myself and at the same time be where I can comfortably talk with my fans as if they’re friends. I think this is much better!
R: For you, do you expect your fans to ask the ‘important’ points?
★IJH: About this, I feel that our conversation shouldn’t be purely “Q&A” , but rather saying what they want to say. Even if the content is weird (laughs), what’s wrong about that? (laughs) The conversation doesn’t have to be based on one particular ‘subject’, I like it when it feels like just a regular conversation.
R: That’s true. Looks like you prefer the more ‘easy-going’ interaction. That’s great!
 ★IJH: It should be like this (laughs). We can talk about “what did you eat yesterday” or “I also want to eat what you ate”, or “please take care of me!” that kind of stuff (laughs). No matter what I want to make it where I can become closer with my fans. The best thing would be to not follow the staff’s prepared ‘dialogue’ but be of a more ‘care-free’ atmosphere. (Laughs) I think this method is better. I’m an actor, not an idol. I don’t want to feel all superior, but I rather want to talk comfortably with everyone. I think this will also be better for the people that like me! I don’t feel as an actor or an entertainer that we are different from a normal person and I also don’t like how as an artist we have to keep a ‘distance’ and only be stared at from afar. In fact, an actor is just a profession/occupation!
R: Joo Hwan and your character are very much alike. Joon Soo is a man who carried a very hard past, and wanted to survive. He is a character that lets one feel very safe and warm.
(after this, they asked questions to do with “if  the character Gong Joon Soo, would’ve been accepted by the Japanese audience)
 R: You haven’t been to Japan in a long time. Besides the fan-meeting, is there anything interesting that you want to do?
★IJH: In the past because of work I came to Tokyo, Fukuoka, Osaka and other places, but I’ve never actually been to Kyoto. When I was watching the Japanese drama“Ryōmaden”  I’ve always wanted to go to a place in the drama called “Tosa” (present day called Kōchi ). I really liked that drama “Ryomaden” and wanted to go to all the places that appeared in it.
R: Do you frequently watch Japanese dramas?
★IJH: Yes, I often do. Besides “Ryomaden” I also watched “Shinya Shokudō and lately I want to watch “Dokuganryu Masamune” (1987 drama).
 R: It looks like you are interested in taiga dramas (historical drama).
★IJH: The main reason was because when watching “Ryōmaden”, I had a new understanding for cinematography. As well, the actors’ acting skills really won people over and that’s why I slowly started to watch other taiga dramas.
R: Do you have something you really want to eat?
 IJH: Of course. Japan is home to many different kinds of foods and I think I like all of them. Okinawa has a specialty that is green right?
 R: Bitter melon?  It’s a vegetable that is a bit bitter….
 ★IJH: Right! That is really delicious. Is it weird for me to like that? (laughs). In the beginning a friend told me that the bitter melon was that place’s specialty that’s why I ate it. Although the taste is different from other melons, but it was unexpectedly really delicious!
R: I’ll make a note of that. In the future, expect your fans to start sending you bitter melons.
★ IJH: (laughs).
★IJH: Yes. I think until now there isn’t any food that I don’t like.
R: So, is Natto (fermented soybeans) okay?
★IJH: I like Natto as well. My Japanese fans should know this!
image
R: I see. I wanted to talk about the drama (laughs), but the topic somehow shifted…
★IJH: Right, I want this feeling. To ‘comfortably chat’ is what I want to do at the fanmeeting (laughs).
R: (laughs) Right now, Japan is airing “Ugly Alert”. So far, what are your thoughts on acting your character?
★IJH: I think the most difficult part about acting this role was how to express the big brother’s feelings of wanting to protect his siblings. That type of feeling is like what a father or mother should feel. I felt that was the most hard to express. As Joon Soo was a man who just got out of prison it was hard to face the people around him. In this situation, he felt guilty towards his siblings, but at the same time he wanted to protect them. That feeling of wanting to be closer to them, but not being able to and other emotions, were really hard to express because this isn’t what you’d normally experience in everyday life.
R: How did you maintain that feeling of ‘genuineness’ while acting this role?
★IJH: During filming, I really interacted with them as if they were my real siblings. We’d have ‘skin-ship’ and I’d say “ have you eaten yet” and I’d stroke my little sister’s head, that kind of stuff. We worked hard to give off that feeling to show we were real siblings. When filming ended it didn’t end with that feeling of “ah, it’s finally done” and you’ve laid down a burden but I rather felt a bit regretful. It felt like everything didn’t properly end and I still hadn’t fully expressed myself to the audience yet. If there was a chance this drama could be re-filmed after a few years, I really want to play my character again.
R: Sora’s acting also left a favourable impression on many, its as if her character grew along with the story and as it did her acting got better, what do you think?
★IJH: After such a long period of filming, we already had good ‘teamwork’. My character along with my siblings and also Sora continuously had many interactions.  It wasn’t like we were ‘holding a meeting’ but we communicated and interacted very naturally. We used this method to strengthen our chemistry.
R: How did you maintain your physical strength when you had to film everyday?
★IJH: For me, I started filming on April 19th. Up till now it was around 8 months of filming. In this time, I only rested for 8 days. So in total it feels like I only rested a day for each month.
R: Ah? So you had to film at night too?
★IJH: We had to film overnight. I remember one time we filmed from 11 in the morning till 12:30 pm the next day, in total we filmed for 25 hours straight. After filming, I had to redo my hairstyle and then film for another 25 hours at another location. Then we filmed at an outdoor location and finished at 4 a.m. Under these circumstances I could only catch up on some sleep in the van. Because the drama aired everyday for 5 days and because I was the main character I was almost in every scene. Sometimes I also had accommodate and work around other actor’s schedules.  
R: There were a lot of crying scenes. It must’ve been hard when you didn’t have enough time to calm down and maintain your emotions.
★IJH: Yes, because I had to maintain my emotions in that moment. Everyday when I closed my eyes up till the moment I opened them, I had to always be in my ‘acting state’. As long as my eyes were open I had to remember my lines. I maintained this condition for the 8 months of filming. However, during filming I also tried hard to keep myself feeling lively to help me get through the long hours of filming.
R:  You’ve been described as a ‘prince-like’ actor that jumped out from a manga. What are your thoughts on this?
★IJH: (shyly laughs) It’s weird…and it’s not like that (laughs). Of course, to get complimented like that makes me feel grateful, but I actually feel quite embarrassed (laughs). Sometimes I’m at a loss as to what to do when someone says that.   
R: Although you have the appearance of a prince, but once one really meets you they’ll feel a sort of closeness…(laughs)
★IJH: Right!  I’m like the ‘neighbourhood’ big brother (laughs).
R: Let’s talk about the army. After getting discharged, have you found that that there has been a change in your work and personal life?
★IJH: It became more steady and calm. When I face different situations, I can calmly stop and think about things. I only entered the army when I was 30 and most of the people in the army were about 22 to 23 years old. They often came to talk to me about what they should do after they get out of the army. Hearing them ask that surprised me a bit. When you’re at the age of 22 or 23 isn’t it that time where you can do anything once you get out? I think going back to study is one thing they can do, or find a part-time job, or go overseas to study, do whatever you want. It’s an age where you can dream about doing anything. But I only thought of this question when I was 31 and 32 and still in the army. I entered the industry at age 20 and now I’ve been in it for 10 years now. At this age, if I were to not continue being an actor and find something else to do, it would be quite hard. That’s why this is the question I should’ve been worried about. However, in turn it had become a chance for me to advise everyone that they’re at the age where they can do anything so as long as you try hard, anything is possible.
R: What were the reactions of those that heard this?
★IJH: They said “to talk about this with Hyung feels good”. When I talked about this I feel like I also learnt something. When I was an actor, I was always worried about not getting recognized before I entered the army. But after getting out of the army I could properly think about this more and that’s why I became more ‘calm’.
image
R:  Do you have anything that you’re personally really into right now?
★IJH: It’s probably watching dramas or movies. This is my ‘personal’ time. When I’m not working, I like watching other actors act and learn at the same time. I can relate to things where I don’t know how to express an emotion or when I try to figure out a character’s gestures. I feel these moments are really important.
R: I can feel that you’re that type to still think of work when you’re resting.
★IJH: Yes, it’s my ‘interesting life’ and at the same time my job. If I get won over by an actor, I will watch all of their works. I previously mentioned the drama ‘Ryomaden’ which stars Masaharu Fukuyama and I’ve watched almost all of his works. Although ‘Ryomaden’ was his 48th work, I finished it in 5 days. I watched continuously for 9-10 hours. It feels really good to learn from other actors.
R: Have you thought of how you’re going to spend Christmas and New Years?
★IJH: For now, I’m going to have a good sleep first (laughs). So far, I haven’t actually slept properly since filming so I want to rest comfortably at home. In those 8 months of filming I think I only had less than 5 hours, sometimes 3 or sometimes 1 hour, to properly get to stretch out my legs and rest.
R: So staying at home on Christmas Day to sleep seems like a nice idea (laughs).
★IJH: (laughs) Right, of course. Catching up on some beauty sleep!
R: Is there any situation, role, or project you want to challenge next?
★IJH:There does exist a desire to act a certain type of character. Although there are many roles I want to try, I haven’t played a bad guy before so I want to try that. I’m also quite interested in themes having to do with a professional occupation. If there was a role that had these two qualities, that would be even better (laughs).
R: An evil professionalist (laughs). This type of character seems quite attractive.
★IJH: Yeah (laughs) If I played a villain, I think I might be even more evil than you can imagine.
R: But you hold a ‘good person’ image right now.
★IJH: Right. Because of that,  I rather want to try playing an evil role. I want to show everyone an image they can’t even imagine. And if my acting skills are not up to par, that might become the limit to what I can act. But if I can do a good job at it, then I can break free from that image I hold now. If I can do that, it’d be great.
R: Please leave a message to your fans.
★IJH:  I am not appearing in front of everyone very suddenly or in a rushed manner. I only took ahold of time, and steadily and slowly came beside everyone. It’s kind of like the mixing of a colour, slowly seeping in, that type of feeling. I want to appear in front of everyone just like how two colours slowly come and mix together.
R: Most people would want to appear in front of everyone with an impact, but this is a new idea.
★IJH: Yes, it’s not like magic or using a paint brush to leave a strong array of colours on paper but rather, it is through the slow penetration of colours that show up dark in some places and light in other places. And in some places, they will suddenly stop but still form different kinds of beauty, isn’t it?
(note: He is talking about a form of chinese painting :) 
I want to become that type of actor. I want to be an actor and at the same time come and stand beside everyone.  
R: Undergoing a long interview since the morning, Im Joo Hwan never showed signs of tiredness and maintained a smile throughout, even adding in hand and body gestures when he enthusiastically answered questions. In regards to the the Japan fan-meeting he said “It seems like everyone was waiting like a calm and graceful young lady. To have everyone wait for so long, I am extremely grateful.”
He created many deep memories with his Japan fan meetings. He has the face of a prince, a long and slender body and yet, is a very close and warm actor. He is passionate about acting and always wants to break free from his limits. Through his drama and the fan-meeting, his charm that you can get lost in, cannot be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment